Menu

Review: Every Single Secret by Emily Carpenter

Every Single Secret
by Emily Carpenter

Website // Twitter // Facebook

Publication date: May 1st 2018
Publisher: Lake Union Publishing
Format: eBook Kindle Unlimited
Genre: thriller, suspense, psychological fiction

"There are monsters all around us - people who have to hide because the world can't bear to see them for who they truly are."

From Goodreads:
Emotionally guarded Daphne Amos always believed she’d found a kindred spirit in her fiancé, Heath. Both very private people, they’ve kept their pasts hidden from the world, and each other, until Heath’s escalating nightmares begin to put an undeniable strain on their relationship. Determined to give their impending marriage the best chance of succeeding, Heath insists that Daphne join him on a seven-day retreat with Dr. Matthew Cerny, a psychologist celebrated for getting to the root of repressed memories. Daphne reluctantly agrees—even though the past is the last place she wants to go.
The retreat’s isolated and forbidding location increases her unease, as do the doctor’s rules: they must relinquish their keys and phones, they’ll be monitored at all hours by hidden cameras, and they’re never to socialize with the other guests.
One sleepless night, Daphne decides to leave her room…and only then does she realize that the institute is not at all what it seems—and that whatever’s crying out from Heath’s past isn’t meant to be heard. It’s meant to be silenced.

My thoughts

5*

This is my first Emily Carpenter book and I was drawn to the very pretty cover on Kindle Unlimited. Reading the synopsis, I was very intrigued so I got it. I had no idea what to expect on getting it except that I was getting a genre I had barely touched in the past.

Every Single Secret is an intense, and suspenseful psychological thriller that kept me intrigued from beginning to end. I never wanted to put it down after I started reading and the only reason I did was real life/work stuff. It was definitely a page turner, I wanted to know more.

It tells the story of Daphnee and her fiancee Heath. They have a perfect union but both have a dark past and they have an understanding to not ask about their past, not ask questions. They are happy, everything works very well between them. Until Heath starts having nightmare and his behavior changes enough to make Daphnee worry. One day, heath suggests a 7 days couple retreat so he can work on his issues as well as Daphnee, if she wants to join in. She's cold to the idea but follows him to the retreat and refuses the help. The retreat is located in a secluded space and the rules are strict: no electronic devices, can't use your car, can't talk to the other couples. And there's a camera in the room in order to help the treatment. Slowly, secrets are being revealed. Maybe more so then you can think and want.

The way Emily wrote this book is very well done, in first person so you follow Daphnee's story to the end and the different jumps in the timeline are easy to follow. She created a creepy atmospheric environment for the setting of this book and I was questioning everything. I could easily picture myself following Daphnee's every movements around the area as if I was right there with her. You can tell Emily did research for what she was talking about because, without going in full details on the therapy sessions, she was able to explain behavioral moods and actions as if she was an expert in it.

This is pretty much my favorite book of January 2020 and this is saying a lot since I've read The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks as well and its movie adaptations is one of my favorite movies of all time!!

I will definitely be looking forward to Ms. Carpenter's other books!!

* This book review is part of the 2020 Kindle Unlimited Reading Challenge.

2 comments: