Menu

Review: Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Angel
by Cassandra Clare

Website // Twitter // Facebook

Publication date: August 31rst, 2010
Publisher: Simon & Schuster, Margaret K. McElderry
Format: Hardcover
Genre: YA fantasy, adventure and romance




"Whatever you are physically, male or female, strong or weak, ill or healthy—all those things matter less than what your heart contains. If you have the soul of a warrior, you are a warrior. Whatever the color, the shape, the design of the shade that conceals it, the flame inside the lamp remains the same. You are that flame."

From Goodreads:
In a time when Shadowhunters are barely winning the fight against the forces of darkness, one battle will change the course of history forever. Welcome to the Infernal Devices trilogy, a stunning and dangerous prequel to the New York Times bestselling Mortal Instruments series.
The year is 1878. Tessa Gray descends into London’s dark supernatural underworld in search of her missing brother. She soon discovers that her only allies are the demon-slaying Shadowhunters—including Will and Jem, the mysterious boys she is attracted to. Soon they find themselves up against the Pandemonium Club, a secret organization of vampires, demons, warlocks, and humans. Equipped with a magical army of unstoppable clockwork creatures, the Club is out to rule the British Empire, and only Tessa and her allies can stop them...

My thoughts

5*

I'm a huge fan of the Shadowhunter world. And I've only read the TMI series once, enjoyed the movie a few times and adored the Shadowhunter series (am I alone for this one?). With that in mind, I wasn't sure if I would like this book the same way and, I admit to being confused at first but that disappeared fast enough and I was getting more into it the further into the story I was getting.

Clockwork Angel is set in 1878 victorian London, filled with mundanes (humans) that are clueless when it comes to supernatural beings that fill the streets on a regular basis. The Shadowhunters are basically the police and the government in this world. It feels like it anyway. Also, let's talk about these steampunk killing machines for a second. My heart goes pitter patter when it comes to steampunk. I love it to bits and pieces.

The Infernal Devices is a TMI prequel set 100 years+ earlier. This is really cool when you think about it. Cassandra Clare, the author, is very imaginative in her world and I applaud her because, so far, nothing feels reheated in her series. I'm still very early in TID but the settings are different and you cannot confused any of the characters for another one. Except for Will, which sounds exactly like Jace (TMI). I should really say Jace is a dupe of Will, should I? Oh, and tessa might just be a more mature version of Clary. Other than that, everyone's different. All of them were great but my favorites have to be Tessa, Will, Charlotte and Jem/James. I cannot wait to know more about them for sure.

Anyway, this isn't about comparing book series so, let's talk about Clockwork Angel more.

Tessa Gray didn't know that her world would be turned upside down when she moved to England. It should have been easy... simple. Move to a new country, move in with her brother and live her life. Instead, as soon a she arrives, she thrown into this world, this weird supernatural world where she's supposed to marry this man that she's never seen or heard of before and her brother is missing. In comes Will, to the rescue and Tessa's world is changed even more and she gets to learn more about herself and this unknown but action/adventure filled world. Did I mention the killing machines? 😛

Cassandra Clare does an amazing job in this book. Her world is very intricate and the writing is very well done, smooth and easy to read and I did find it was easier to stop reading at the end of a chapter when it was time to do other things (like sleep). I love long chapters but I like when they're not "eternal". And it's not just her. Many authors are known for long, unending chapters. I found that TMI was lacking because the chapters were so long. I dislike having to stop reading in the middle of a chapter because I always feel like to get back into the story, the action, I should start the chapter over...

Can I just say I would love to live in a world like this one? No matter if it's in the time of TID or TMI or even TDA that I have read yet? I just love, love, love this world to pieces. I think I have mentioned in a previous review, I think it was The Widow's Watcher, where I mentioned loving to be able to imagine the world, the places, the characters in my head. I definitely wasn't disappointed here. I could even imagine that clockwork angel jewelry Tessa's wearing, it says a lot. 

I'm very happy Cassandra Clare is milking this universe and I cannot wait to sink my teeth into Clock princess and Clockwork Princess and then the TDA series (still hoping to get Lord of Shadows and Queen of Air and Darkness). And now with Chain of Gold out in the The Last Hours series... that one's been in my wishlist for years and the other, supposed cover shown on Pinterest 😍



*At the time of this review, I have found a job but I've had a busy time since writing the previous reviews and I changed my whole home library from one room to my own bedroom and I am in love! 💗💗 If this review seems a little wonky and all over the place it's because it is. I admit it. I've finished this book a while ago. I will learn to write them closer to finishing reading the books, for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment