Menu

Review: The Widow's Watcher by Eliza Maxwell

The Widow's Watcher
by Eliza Maxwell

Website // Twitter // Facebook

Publication date: May 29, 2018
Published by: Lake Union Publishing
Format: eBook, Kindle Unlimited
Genre: Domestic fiction

"Forgiveness is hard. It's painful. It's giving when you've nothing left to give, from places you can't afford to lose anything else. But it's never simple."

From Goodreads:
Living in the shadow of a decades-old crime that stole his children from him, reclusive Lars Jorgensen is an unlikely savior. But when a stranger walks onto the ice of a frozen Minnesota lake, her intentions are brutally clear, and the old man isn’t about to let her follow through.
Jenna Shaw didn’t ask for Lars’s help, nor does she want it. After he pulls her from the brink, however, Jenna finds her desire to give up challenged by their unlikely friendship. In Jenna, Lars recognizes his last chance for redemption. And in her quest to solve the mysteries of Lars’s past and bring him closure, Jenna may find the way out of her own darkness.
But the truth that waits threatens to shatter it all. When secrets are surrendered and lies are laid bare, Jenna and Lars may find that accepting the past isn’t their greatest challenge. Can they afford the heartbreaking price of forgiveness? 

My thoughts



3.75*

This book was suggested to me after having read Every Single Secret by Emily Carpenter. Since i really loved ESS, I thought why not try this one. This was my first Eliza Maxwell novel and I can say that it didn't disappoint. It wasn't perfect. I thought there were some length and details I could have done without but overall, I was into it.

I loved the setting of this book; it happens during Winter and it's a faraway place and I could easily picture the lake and the house/cabin and I definitely could feel the cold as it was described. Don't you just love when an author succeeds in making you get into the story this way? I couldn't ask for better myself. Makes it much easier to appreciate the storytelling for sure

The Widow's Watcher is a contemporary novel with a mix of loss, family drama, mental illness and a mystery spanning over 30 years. Oh, and a bit of love, too, though there is no romance in this book. it didn't need to at all. I think all of those were done well though I still would have liked to know more about what the male character's wife (Lars Jorgensen) had. Unless I read it and didn't fully grasp what it is?! I thought the mystery was well done, well explained as well. There were a few things I thought I had guessed right and I was wrong. So totally wrong. I can say that it kept me guessing until the end and I like that very much. Other than some length I mentioned earlier, I thought the pacing was really nice and it gave you time to "swallow" the information given and comprehend where it wanted to bring you.

What Jenna Shaw went through is terrible and I could see myself reacting the same way to a certain extent. I wish she would have gotten help sooner, obviously, but then there'd be no story, would it? I didn't like her at first but I warmed up to her and wanted her to find some sort of happy end. As for Lars Jorgensen, I didn't like him at all at first. How can you when he's depicted as a grumpy old man who's calm, normal like has been disturbed? The further you get to know him, more you understand where he's coming from and you start liking him much better.


*At the time of this review and the next one, I was still looking for a job so that took priority over everything so that's why this review, and the next one, will look a bit all over the place and pretty late. The reason was explained in my previous post; I lost my job and searching for a new one has taken priority over everything. I've got a job starting on Monday so I should be able to get back to a more regular posting schedule. I hope.

*This book review is part of the 2020 Kindle Unlimited Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment