Menu

Review: Love, Life and the List by Kasie West

Love, Life and the List
by Kasie West

Website // Twitter // Facebook

Publication date: December 25th, 2017
Publisher: HarperTeen
Format: Kindle Unlimited
Genre: Romance



From Goodreads:
Seventeen-year-old Abby Turner’s summer isn’t going the way she’d planned. She has a not-so-secret but definitely unrequited crush on her best friend, Cooper. She hasn’t been able to manage her mother’s growing issues with anxiety. And now she’s been rejected from an art show because her work “has no heart.” So when she gets another opportunity to show her paintings, Abby isn’t going to take any chances.
Which is where the list comes in.
Abby gives herself one month to do ten things, ranging from face a fear (#3) to learn a stranger’s story (#5) to fall in love (#8). She knows that if she can complete the list, she’ll become the kind of artist she’s always dreamed of being.
But as the deadline approaches, Abby realizes that getting through the list isn’t as straightforward as it seems . . . and that maybe—just maybe—she can’t change her art if she isn’t first willing to change herself.
My thoughts


3.5*

I've been wanting to read a Kasie West book for months and I had no idea which one I'd get. Then I read a blog post about some of her best books (as per that blogger) and when I found this one on Kindle Unlimited, I got really excited, grabbed it and started reading it right away, leaving my other reads untouched to give my full attention to this one.

I thought the story line was really cute and the friendship between Abby and Cooper was really good. I could definitely see myself in Abby on a lot of points (having dreams and trying to achieve them but never quite succeeding) but I also thought she was a little bit too much in points. She's very sarcastic and she says things to her mom and grandpa that I could never say and in those times, I couldn't connect with her.

Cooper is the best friend you can easily fall in love with. And I definitely loved  that he practically loved everything Abby loves, with his own interests as well. I've wanted for him to reciprocate Abby's feelings almost right away but then he did a few things that made me really mad and I didn't want them to be together in the end. I mean, come on... don't take the girl for granted and follow in on your promises and such...

Also, I do get that this is somewhat a cheesy teen romance novel and that it basically has to end on a happy ending, if not a happily ever after but towards the middle of the book, I totally knew how it would end. I love having some sort of surprise when I read, no matter the type/genre of book that I read. Yes, even a romance novel. So, that was a bit of a downer for me.

I did enjoy the book from beginning to end though, don't get me wrong. I would have liked to know more about Abby's paintings, what she does. Especially because she wanted to be in that art show so your work has to be something kinda special to be shown at a show, right?!

My first experience in reading Kasie West wasn't a bad one at all and I do want to read more of her books. If they are similar to this one is, I'll be glad. If they are better, good and I'll be very happy to get into them as well.



* Side note: It took me longer before I could write this review because I didn't know how to write my feelings on it. And real life events made it so my priorities were switched. Like losing my job and having to start looking for a new one and having an interview for one.


*This book review is part of the 2020 Kindle Unlimited Reading Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment